CASE STUDY Morrisons use cinema as part of Be Our Guest campaign
Provided by Digital Cinema Media
Morrisons use cinema to reach a young, more affluent audience. 276 DCM sites within a 3.5 mile proximity to a Morrison's store
What was the Challenge / Background of the Campaign?
The creative for Morrisons' Christmas campaign featured Ant & Dec in a magical Morrisons world. The accompanying music was Disney's Be our Guest. The creative lent itself perfectly to cinema and had a natural association with film, which led to cinema being used for the first time for a Morrisons Christmas campaign.
What was the Campaign Objective?
To drive reach amongst a younger, more affluent audience
What was the Solution?
As well as being an excellent creative fit, Morrisons was looking to drive incremental reach amongst a younger, more affluent audience. The company was interested to learn what impact cinema added to its campaign including:
- Brand perceptions
- Purchase intent and consideration
To ensure the campaign could be monitored effectively for both brand tracking and econometrics we selected 276 DCM sites within a 3.5-mile proximity to a Morrisons store as they have limited presence in some areas of the country.
What were the Results?
Our cinema exposed group were 88% more likely to have children
vs. the control sample
• Cinemagoers were 17% more likely to be ABC1 and were on
average 10 years younger than the control sample. +76% believed "I'd Seriously Consider Morrisons" (Exposed = 51%; Control = 29%). +222% believed "Morrisons appeals to me more than others" (Exposed = 16%; Control = 5%).+31% Morrisons ad recognition (Exposed = 75%; Control = 57%) . Please download attachment for more information.
What were the Key Learnings of this Campaign?
- The cinema activity worked well for Morrison's in terms of reaching a younger, more affluent audience who have a wider repertoire in their shopping habits.
- The campaign delivered incremental reach against target segments and delivered significant uplift on ad metrics for engagement and relevance
- The cinema exposed group were more likely to think differently about the brand and have an increased intent to purchase.
- The activity had a direct impact upon sales with cinema delivering a
ROI of £10.02 per £1 spent