CASE STUDY: Vodafone target 15-34s with ad funded content
Provided by Bauer Media
Bauer team with GCap to create 'The Vodafone Live Hour' in order to associate the brand with live music and reach 15-34s.
What was the Challenge / Background of the Campaign?
Vodafone wanted to address some key issues: - to target 15-34 adults with a passion for music and to associate Vodafone with live music. Radio is a natural medium to target and engage a young music obsessed audience. We recognised that to maximise the scale and coverage of the campaign we needed to work with other radio partners. In this case our key partner was GCap. Working with our programming teams we developed an idea that would not only reach, but engage the audience using ad funded content across key influential radio brands.
What was the Campaign Objective?
- Target 15-34 adults with a passion for music
- Associate Vodafone with live music
- Increase brand awareness and awareness of services offered
- Promote the Vodafone Live Music Awards
What was the Solution?
The Vodafone Live Hour - A weekly live music show broadcast every Monday evening 9-10pm. A live music show presented by MTV's Jo Good - featuring over 286 artists performing live and providing what is effectively the only outlet for live music on commercial radio. Podcasts of the live performances were created for listeners to relive the live experience. The show also dovetailed into the Vodafone TBA gigs and awards broadcast on Channel 4.
What were the Results?
- 42% of people said that Vodafone would appeal to them more than other networks (compared to 28% for non listeners)
- Listeners opinions of the brand had improved e.g. 56% agreed that Vodafone offers services that are easy to use (increased from 43% pre campaign)
- Awareness of the Vodafone Live Music awards was significantly higher for Vodafone Live Hour listeners compared to non listeners
- There was a 15% increase in Vodafone's spontaneous brand awareness between listeners and non listeners
What were the Key Learnings of this Campaign?
"I believe this is a fantastic example of how Commercial Radio can work together and how bespoke ad-funded programming can offer the advertiser so much more than traditional sponsorship."
Steve Coteman, Radio Manager, Zenith Optimedia (Media Week)