RESEARCH: the wanted ads Motors: insight into car buying process
Provided by Newspaper Society
Research to demonstrate the role of different communications channels and importance of local media when buying a car.
What was the Challenge / Background of the Campaign?
Local Media, which comprises nearly 1300 local newspapers, 1200+ websites, niche publications and magazines, offers advertisers the opportunity to reach over 80% of the UK population across all life stages, lifestyles and income levels. To demonstrate the strengths of Local Media the NS has developed an ongoing programme of research called the wanted ads. the wanted ads Motors is the third in a series of specific category research studies conducted on behalf of the NS by Continental Research.
What was the Campaign Objective?
To demonstrate the role of different communications channels across the active process of buying a car and the importance of local media.
What was the Solution?
The research findings from a sample of over 1250 active car buyers/sellers provide insights into: people's driving habits and the impact of environmental and economic factors; the key rational and emotional triggers to changing a car and just how local car buying remains; the very short window of opportunity to influence active car buyers who on average complete this process in just 6-7 weeks; and critically, demonstrate the role of different communications channels across this active process and the importance of local media.
What were the Results?
- People don't travel far to buy cars, depending on the buyers location, people will travel between 5 and 20 miles to buy a car.
- Very short active purchase process, 57% of people took less than a month to purchase a car after making the decision to buy.
- Local media is the most influential advertising medium, 41% of car buyers used local media as a source of information.
- For comparing prices local media is the number 1 media channel, 31% of car buyers used the medium as a source on information on prices.
What were the Key Learnings of this Campaign?
the wanted ads Motors identified 5 main themes: - Changing attitudes to driving in terms of economic and environmental factors; Life is local
- People don't travel far to buy cars; Very short active purchase process
- Average 6-7 weeks; Local media is the most influential advertising medium and it's main strength is in the final stages of the active purchase process - Price, booking test drives and deciding where to purchase.