CASE STUDY: NatWest uses IPTV to target students

Provided by Thinkbox
NatWest used IPTV to target students in their rooms and drive openings of the NatWest Student Account.

What was the Challenge / Background of the Campaign?

Reaching students is a tough game and yet for banks they are a key market. NatWest's contribution was to offer them a free railcard - a distinctly unsexy offer.In order to hit the 85% of students who organise their finances before coming to university, NatWest targeted their favourite TV programmes, creating a bespoke schedule of multichannel spots as well as key terrestrial spots. To reach the remaining 15% Natwest used IPTV which allows advertising to be targeted only to relevant consumers and inside every student room was an IPTV network called Freewire. Find out more...

What was the Campaign Objective?

To drive openings of the NatWest Student Account, NatWest's campaign ran in two phases. The first used conventional TV to target organised students. A mix of multi-channel and key terrestrial spots enabled it to reach 63% of the target audiences at 1+ cover. The second phase aimed to reach the 15% of students who don't sort out their banking until they arrive at college. It used Freewire's IPTV platform and Channel 4 programmes to ensure the ad was only seen by students.

printer friendly version
BudgetReach & FrequencyTarget AudienceMedia Used
£501k +Freewire network consists of 160,000 students
16 - 24Both
Campaign LocationCampaign DurationMarketing ObjectiveCampaign Type
Many more ideas on   Click here to register and view them!
Need some fresh ideas?
Try our Briefing Service

Search for Ideas



Media Route

Marketing Route

Full Search Options is the place for brands and their agencies to find marketing ideas, media insight and sponsorship solutions.

Sign Up

Register now to find out more about Agencies Marketers Media/Rights Owners
Need some fresh ideas?
Try our Briefing Service